Wednesday 1 January 2014

New year, New projects!

First of all, (and I know I repeat the same thing on numerous occasions) sorry again for it being so long without any activities on here. The blog was going strong and then sort of tapered off somewhere along the way. Most likely due to the many commitments that myself and my group have already had. However I will try to be better. I wont make it a new years resolution though! We all know how those never work out. On that note, I will also NOT have losing weight, spending more time with family and follow through with commitments in a more timely manner as my new years resolutions either! ;)
 
So some news on my end. I was approached by a lovely friend of mine, who is an amazing crafter herself, to join her very successful challenge blog, 'A Little Bit Crafty' ! Thank you Paula for your confidence in me. I hope that I live up to expectations.
 
My first challenge theme as DT is Celebrate! Should be easy right? There is so much to celebrate this time of the year. New beginnings, new starts, and for some of us, just making it to the new year is a celebration in itself isn't it?? This time though I decided to go for a birthday card for my husbands cousin. It was her 40th birthday and we were invited to her big bash of a party. I have only met her once before so trying to find a theme to go with for her card wasn't easy. 
 
 
 
As a lot of you who know me know, I am not a digi user. I think its mostly due to the fact I love the feel and control of a proper stamp and being able to play around with inks and positioning. So with this challenge I have definitely stepped out of my comfort zone. However I love the feel of this image from our sponsor 'Scribble and Scrap'. I immediately felt the 20's vibe to it and I thought that very appropriate for a 40th birthday. Don't ask me why, my mind works in mysterious ways!

  
First of all, I printed her off on regular, thick, white card stock. I like to work with my distress pens mostly but unfortunately my printer wouldn't take the water colour paper so I had to make due.
 
I used a mixture of promarkers, distress stains in tarnished brass and brushed pewter and a bit of distress pens here and there. I wanted the card to be mostly white black and silver with a hint of gold and a pop of colour with the red.
 
As you can see below, my colouring needs refinement but I'm hoping I can start working on a collection of copics and prismacolours in the new year and practise a little more. I covered the dress with glossy accents and dry rock candy glitter. I wish glitter was easier to capture but it definitely made the final product. I also added stickles in various places as well.


I think my favourite was using distress stickles in antique linen in her hair. It unfortunately covered any shading I might have done there but it gave it a little extra texture that I love. I coloured in the mirror with tumbled glass distress pen and water with perfect pearls to give it a bit of subtle shimmer. Its not my favourite as the paper I used wasn't ideal so the ink didn't blend out as much as I would have liked but in person it looks much better.

 
I did a bit of fussy cutting of the image and stuck her down onto a stamped and distressed background (stampin ups en francais large stamp with pumice stone distress ink) and mounted that onto back card stock. I finished it off with a few silver peel offs to make the whole thing a bit more.. art deco I think you would call it.
 
 
Anyway please check out the blog and our sponsors for this challenge below. I hope you enjoy the card and that it gives you a little push to try something out of your comfort zone!
 
 
Happy New Year!
 
Sam
 
 
 
 
http://www.joannasheen.com/craft-supplies/
 
 
http://www.scribbleandscrap.co.uk/index.html
 
 
 https://www.facebook.com/PetalLu
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!!